The first description of the building dates back to 1667, when he was a simple two-storey block of flats in the country, that character is preserved until 1755, the date from which you are working with extensions and modifications. Between 1755 and 1765 is the most significant transformation., Formed by enlargement of the main facade of the building and the creation of a central entrance on the front in line with the main staircase of a project commissioned by Princess Hippolyta Cantelmo to Stuart Architect Luke Flack. This factory has been shown clearly by the Duke of Naples card Noja. Between 1842 and 1902 are made of those works which give the plant its present aspect, the completion of the third floor and the relocation of the main facade. So the factory has gradually transformed from a central element of a farm to palace. In 1913, major renovations are made regarding enhancements and extensions to the rear. The building underwent a severe handicap when in 1964 he was the subject of speculation with the vandalism attempt spicconamento him of the plaster of the main facade and degradation of many indoor environments, the attempt was stopped, but from that moment the building is left in a state of neglect for over twenty years. In this long-term degradation compromises the covers, which partly collapsed, and some horizontal structures. Finally, the Municipality of Naples decided to dedicate the building site of cultural and artistic events, requiring the Ministry of Education authorizing the expropriation in favor of the City itself. As a result the Administration proceed with the preparation of a project for the restoration entrusted to designers of national fame. The City then the execution of the work to society COEDIL SUD. Based on what has been reversed so that the process of decay and neglect with a willingness to give the city an important cultural evidence recovered to the original environmental values by providing a cultural resource to the public enjoyment of an international character.The buildings with the passage of time are subject to natural and accidental events that will demand restoration and reinforcement of structures. Among the structural reinforcement techniques are increasingly used by designers, even in the restoration of monumental buildings, the structural bonding of carbon fiber fabrics. The company has pioneered COEDIL SOUTH Palazzo Roccella such action. In general, the composite materials are made from organic fibers immersed in a polymer matrix consisting of polymeric resins that can be thermoplastic or thermosetting. Fiber Reinforced Polymer (FRP) is the name coined to identify these high-performance composite materials. In the composition of the two materials to the fibers relies the task of resistance to external stresses (preferably traction), while the matrix resin is entrusted with the task of transferring the efforts to fibers through its tangential resistance; the matrix also has the task to protect the fibers against external agents. On site the fiber fabric is "cured" through a process called lamination which consists in applying the product after it is impregnated with epoxy resin, on the surface to be treated; in this way are obtained at the same time the construction of the composite and the adhesion of the fabric to the wall surface. The design for this project was prepared by prof. Mr. Renato Sparacio.

< back to list